Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Getting to Know the New Me.


"He comforts us in all our troubles so that we can comfort others. When others are troubled, we will be able to give them the same comfort God has given us,,,for when God comforts us, it is so that we, in turn can be an encouragement to you." 2-Corinthians 1:4,6.
I am changed spiritually because of my cancer journey. Suffering does that to you if you let it! I am a different, better person because of the suffering I have endured. I have more compassion, more empathy, more patience and more mercy. I am finding that my story has great power to uplift people who may be struggling with something. It may not even be cancer that they are dealing with, but my story always seems to reassure them that despite all odds, there is always hope. I believe that God has a hand in my recovery, I am supposed to use the comfort he has given me to comfort others, just as the bible says. Trust me, this way of thinking comes in handy as a nurse!
I have faced a tremendous challenge.
I have come face to face with my own mortality.
I have endured difficulties that I never thought I could.
I have learned, with the help of God, to distinguish between the important stuff and unimportant stuff.
I know better than most that life is indeed a gift not to be wasted.

It took being thrown under the "cancer-bus" to push me into the arms of God. Who else do you go to with a problem that HUGE? As long as I live I will be afraid that that bus is coming for me again, something survivors face everyday. But I will live each day like it is my last, I will speak to everyone as if I may never see them again, and I will continue to share my story of hope and faith with anyone who needs to hear it.
"So take a new grip with your tired hands and stand firm on your shaky legs. Mark out a straight path for your feet. Then those who follow you, though they are weak and lame, will not stumble and fall, but will become strong." Hebrews 12:12-13

1 comment:

Mandy said...

Awesome stuff Michon! How true it is that "As long as I live I will be afraid that that bus is coming for me again, something survivors face everyday." It's been almost 11 years for me and it never goes away....it's always in the back of my mind. Thanks for the encouragement. Your strength is inspiring. :)